Wednesday 29 February 2012

Memories.......

I was at the local kirana store and a pack of Poppins caught my eye.There it was lying still in the glass enclosure staring back at me.Flashback to the good old school days when I used to pick these from my brother's store at will.All of us,my sisters and I ,loved to eat these multi-coloured tiny golis.When we shared them we had our own colour choices and I always picked red or pink.I remember how we suckled on them noisily like ruminating cows and took in all its flavours.


So,as I was saying,I saw the poppins and bought three of them.It was surprising that I got 3 for just rupees five. I opened the packet with a feeling of deja vu and related to my daughter how we ate these as little kids.I put it inside my mouth hoping to get the same long-lost taste of dear old poppins and was completely let down.The taste was nothing like the REAL poppins that I had had as a little girl.What I tasted now was just another coloured peppermint.In fact it tasted like a medicine.It did not even look the same inside , though the company had tried its best to retain the look of the cover pack .How I missed the taste of that poppins!


This is not how it tasted then.....I stated sadly.It was so much better when we were kids.My daughter was surprised that I made such a thing of such a minor issue.It tastes different now.......so what!Don't like it,don't eat it.If this is not like it tasted earlier try something else.There are so many new options now.......so many of them.


Change is inevitable,I know.


But there are times when I long for a taste of the things as they were before.......like the taste of the rose and white coloured spearmints,the chana jor garam at the park near my mom's house,the ghanne ka juice we had at Prabhadevi ,the khaja and the halwa at the local fair,the pani-puri and bhel at the beach............I could go on.


Days,months and years go by...........only memories remain!

No comments:

Post a Comment