Wednesday 5 May 2021

Nomadland

 I was waiting to watch this movie. It has won the Oscar for Best Picture, Best Actor and Best Director. It is an adaptation of Jessica Bruder's book, Nomadland and it takes us along a journey with Fern, who is one of the many victims of the Great Recession in America.

I had a lot of expectations from this movie and was sorely disappointed with it. The movie takes us to different locations with Fern, who wants to keep working and keep travelling in her van, thoughtfully named Vanguard. She meets different people who are living around like modernday gypsies and doing all kinds of odd jobs. The movie is about the life she leads as a nomad and the lessons she learns in the way.

Frankly, I did not see anything, substantial in the movie and I am guessing the book is better. The film dragged on and I was waiting for something to happen, but it didn't. Of course, this is just my view, so you can go ahead and find out for yourself. There was not much scope to act either, so I wonder about the awards this movie won. There is a scene where Fern is lying in the river stark naked and another where she is defecating in the van, nothing that can be considered as important for the story or lack of it. Was this that made it Oscar-worthy, I wonder. The movie tries to tell us the plight of Americans struck by The Great Recession.

For me, this is a movie that is better to be missed, but you can watch it and find out for yourself. Maybe you will see something in it that I missed and see what the accolades are all about.
No apologies for those who liked this movie. This is my view about it and it does not change. I loved the Malayalam movie Joji so much better than this one! In fact I have watched some really amazing movies lately, so maybe that's why watching this one was like a let-down for me.

This movie too had some good moments in it but they were few and far between. Nothing miraculous or extraordinary in it that will change our life as some reviews suggest.
I have watched Frances McDormand in the movie Three Billboards that was really brilliant and she acted amazingly in that one. That one is streaming on Disney Hotstar too, so you can watch that one instead of this one.




No comments:

Post a Comment