Wednesday 25 March 2020

The Kite Runner

I am a HUGE fan of Khaled Hosseini. His novels touch an emotional chord and never fail to impress. I read three of his books- 'The Kite Runner', 'A Thousand Splendid Suns' and "And The Mountains Echoed'. Waiting to read ' Sea Prayer' too.

Being such a huge fan of his novels, it came as a surprise that Khaled Hosseini's novel had been adapted as a play and it was to be performed in Mumbai. I could not miss this chance. The shows were during the weekend so a cousin and I booked the tickets and watched it on Saturday 28th September, 2019 at Bal Gandharva Rang Mandir, Bandra. The play was arranged by Aadyam Theatre.

This novel has also been adapted into a motion film and I have watched it. I wanted to see how they could manage to portray the vivid emotions on the stage.It was a huge challenge but the play came out with flying colours! My cousin and I were mesmerized by the way the story came alive on the stage. They took only the most pertinent scenes and dialogues from the novel and weaved a tale that kept us hooked even after the last scene.The stage went through some changes as per the situation and the costumes were apt.

What can I say about the dialogue delivery and the acting!It was truly amazing! There were so many moments that I had goosebumps! Some moments brought on the tears too. So many beautiful moments from the novel captured so perfectly on stage, that I never thought it would be possible. On many occasions I looked at my cousin and she looked at me questioningly, how did they manage to do that? I never thought that the play could do justice to the beautiful novel but I was wrong. The characterization, dialogues, use of stage and lighting was all excellent. The show ran houseful on both the days. It was evident that the rest of the audience was as spell bound by the play as we were. For a few minutes after the play all just sat in our seats to soak it in. The effect of the play was exceptional.After the play, the director and all the actors came on the stage. They got a much deserved standing ovation too.

I am so fortunate to have watched this play. Do watch this one if you get the opportunity,especially if you are a lover of Khaled Hosseini novels.





No comments:

Post a Comment