Saturday 12 October 2013

Back To College!!!

I love teaching and after completion of my D.Ed course(Diploma in Education) I began my journey as a teacher.I was teaching at an elementary school at a reputed institute for about 14 years.Yet,there was something missing.I was not getting the satisfaction I desired.I wanted to push myself further,take up new challenges and explore new avenues in teaching.Being a teacher in the S.S.C Board school for so many years had made me feel stagnant and hence I decided to do my B.Ed course.(Bachelor in Education) Even after so many years teaching in that institute ,I was not granted a years leave for my course (their loss completely!) so I quit.I gave my entrance test and secured admission in the reputed B.T.T.C (Bombay Teachers' Training College) at Colaba. I looked forward to a years training and more importantly, going back to college!

The head of the college was Mrs Mintu Sinha and it was a government -aided college so thankfully,the fees were not sky-high as in the private colleges.There were a hundred students,all aspiring teachers in my class.I fell in love with my class room which was on the fourth floor and which over-looked the magnificent Gateway of India.My class-mates were great fun to be with and the teachers who taught us were a class apart.With all the rules and regulations in the college it was more or less like a school,only without the uniform.The training was rigorous and it really made me a better teacher than what I was.That one year of training made me a more confident person and I developed many new skills.I was greatly inspired by my teachers like Deepti Mehta Mam,Richa Mittal Mam and Meenakshi Lath Mam. They had a novel approach to the teaching-learning process and I hoped to follow their footsteps.Even today, they are remembered with utmost respect.

The course was hectic and demanding.There were many who cribbed each day due to the workload but I enjoyed myself in spite of all the hard work involved.At the elections I was elected as the General Secretary of the class and it was a proud moment for me.I made some great friends during this course and there were innumerable moments that I will forever cherish.We all enjoyed the numerous programmes like the college and inter-college competitions,the zonal special days,festival celebrations and the talent shows.Even the time spent in the class ,the library,the canteen,staffroom,the local photo-copier,the nearby sandwich -wala and the restaurant will be remembered.We also spent some wonderful moments of togetherness at the nearby gateway of India,Marine Drive, McDonald's and Colaba Causeway.We had great fun and so many a times, were a source of exasperation for the teachers.We dreaded the tests,vivas and the journal submissions.We had fun at the teaching schedules at the nearby schools and earnestly prayed for good remarks from the teachers for our teaching lessons.Sports day ,campus interviews and the welcome of the new batch was exciting  and so was our Farewell programme.

Thanks to this training programme,I made some wonderful friends and I am in touch with some of them even today.I cleared the examination and am working at a well-known ICSE Board school.My B.Ed degree made it possible for me to experience teaching at an I.B (International Baccalaureate) school too,which I will always cherish.I was glad to be a part of this college and I hope there are more training colleges like this so that we have better teachers in our schools.Three cheers to my wonderful B.Ed college!

Here are some of the memorable moments spent during my B.Ed course.

The presentation at the Farewell.

The dancer and athlete of our class-Ganesh Khandagale.

On the terrace for the photo shoot.

The 8 Class Council members and the staff members.

Wonderful moments at Marine Drive

At the picnic-Who dares to tease!!!

All set for a class picture.

Enjoying with close friends.

At one of our many zonal functions.


The library where we spent hours searching for the right notes.

Sports day......was beaten at the finals.

At the water resort with the teachers.

Dancing after the sports events.

proudly wearing our Council badges at the programme.

Extoling the virtues of our college through a song which I penned.

In the heats.......pushing myself!!!

My friends at the potato race.

Long jump finals.

Enjoying my place in the sun!

The LTL (Late to Leave)group and its antics!!!

Bidding farewell to a wonderful teacher-Richa Mam.

Performing on the 'Dhol bajne laga' song.

Ramp walk at the water resort with the teachers.

Our wonderful teachers at BTTC!!!



Performing the salsa dance at the function



No comments:

Post a Comment