Thursday 10 June 2021

Childhood Eats and Treats

 Last day of vacation, school reopens tomorrow! I made caramel custard today. Preparing caramel custard brought back so many childhood memories!

I remember my amma making Rex or Weikfield caramel custard for us. We enjoyed it thoroughly. Sometimes she also made jelly for us. On special occasions she prepared Rasna. I still remember the carton that had a powder mix and some liquid in a little bottle that was mixed together in water to prepare the concentrate. We all sat around and watched her make it. We loved Rasna! Drinks like coke, Limca, Thumbs up and Goldspot were rarely bought.
In those days there was no concept of going out to restaurants to eat, everything was prepared at home. Special days called for special delicacies made with love at home. In the evening after playtime, amma prepared yummilicious snacks for us. We all enjoyed sitting cross-legged on the floor in a half circle and eating them with relish as we chatted and argued with our siblings. Amma served us all equally and she didn't have to coax us to eat it. When my Anna (father) and brother were back from work, we had dinner together. We were not fussy eaters, we ate whatever was served. We relished what we ate. I miss my amma's cooking as do my sisters. Childhood memories last forever.
What is the dish that brings back childhood memories for you???



No comments:

Post a Comment